RegisterLog In

Dismissal of Employment Due To Closure of KL Office

MWong
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 12:29:23 PM  (Last updated: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 09:36:33 PM)

Hi,

I would like to seek your opinion / advice on my recent case.

Just last Thursday, I was informed by the GM that the company's group committee has decided to close down the KL Office and they had to let me go with one month salary.  When asked about my last day of work, I was advised that it was the day itself and I was requested to handover company property (laptop, etc), pack up and leave immediately. 

I called the GM the next day to request for the official letter of dismissal and was informed that clearance on the letter has yet to be obtained from head office and that I should be receiving the letter by early this week.

Questions:

1)  If clearance has yet to be obtained from head office, it is legal for the dismissal to be effective immediately?

2)  Should the KL Office be closed, shouldn't an employee be given an option to either relocate to head office within the same department or resign with notice?

4)  Should the KL Office be closed, shouldn't the head office give ample notice to employees concern about the closure?

Please advise soon.

Thank you.

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 05:24:50 PM

To me, it is not very wise to pack and leave immediately without getting any black and white. Was there anyone present when the GM told you that?

MWong
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 07:44:03 PM

Ya, I know but I was caught by surprised and forgot about the black and white until the next day.

There was a third person present when I was informed of the news.  He was also the person I was told to handover the company items to.  I'm not sure if he'll back me up on this if he had to - he's the GM's 'Yes Man'.

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 09:36:33 PM

I think better for you to check with head office whether a letter is really coming. If there is one terminating your service, then you can go to the Industrial Relations Department for further advice.

This topic is closed