RegisterLog In

MC for Unconfirmed Foreign Worker

June Wong
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:20:31 PM  (Last updated: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 02:10:58 PM)

Hi,

I am a Malaysian working in Singapore. Wanted to get some opinion on labour law and HR. I recently came back to KL for a 4-day break and was fallen sick a day before returning to Singapore and was hospitalised.I informed my company in lieu of time and they granted me the hospitalisation leave of 7 days as per doctor's instructions.

A week later (1 Sept) during discharge, the doctors gave me a further of 3 weeks MC as I am on steriods and need close monitoring. I have immediately informed my company and the HR. However, today (14 Sept) I received a call from my HR (the same person I informed about my MC) rejecting my MCs due to "company policy" that they do not recognise foreign medical reports/certificates and also because I have yet to be confirmed by my company. Instead, they are going to fill me in as Unpaid Leave for the entire hospitalisation and 3 weeks MC period.

My concern over the matter is that HR should have informed me earlier about the "company policy"  and I would have opt for an alternative to avoid taking Unpaid Leave. Also, I do remember being told I am covered medically when I signed my appointment letter. Please advise:

1) Does my HR has the right to slam me with Unpaid Leave; and

2) Do I have hospitalisation and medical leave despite being under probation?

Thank you.

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 15 Sep 2011 02:10:58 PM

If you are employed by  is a Singapore company, Singapore labour laws may apply. Consult the Singapore Labour Department when you are back there.

This topic is closed