RegisterLog In

Is it still needed to give 3 months notice to employer even if my contract is fnishing with them sooner than that

dragon
Fri, 08 Nov 2013 07:11:02 PM  (Last updated: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 11:03:01 AM)

Hi,

I am a foreigner and I am teaching in one of the universities here in Malaysia.

My contract is going to be finished by the end of December this year to be exact (29 December 2013) and I am not willing to sign a new contract with them for next year. Although they have started talking about what are the subjects that they have assigned me to teach next semester like they took it for granted that I will stay.

Here is the question:

1. Do I still need to give them 3 months notice or 3 months salary in lieu ( as it is mentioned in my contract)? Or I can just wait till my last day or the time that they ask me to sign the new contract and then refuse to sign It?

2. It is written in my contract that

“The contract maybe extended subject completion of the ongoing semester or December 29, 2013 whichever is the latter”

I want to know what that means and does it have anything to do with my situation?

3.It is also written that

“ Your employment maybe terminated by either part giving the other 3 months notice in writing of the intention of termination or three(3) months salary in lieu of notice to the other party

Such termination will take effect ONLY:

i) Before the beginning of the following terms
ii) After fulfilling  your teaching and examination obligation in the ongoing semester”

I want to know what that means and does it have anything to do with my situation?

4. Do I owe them anything legally???

Regards,

Dragon

KL Siew
Administrator
Sat, 09 Nov 2013 11:03:01 AM

I would suggest you consult a lawyer as it involves a contract. Show the contract to the lawyer.

This topic is closed