RegisterLog In

How to Prevent the Abuse of Medical Leave

Micheal Heng  
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:52:42 AM  (Last updated: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 04:38:24 PM)

Hi, KL , what is the best practice to tackle the frequent MC workers ?

I have a pools of workers whoes is frequently on mc....this is seriouly hurting our productivity,,,,and cost. The medical leaves are given by panel clinic and it is hard for us to discipline the workers from abusing this benefits.

What is the step I need to take in order to terminate this type of workers ?

We are running 12 hrs shift ( Only Morning ) ( 7 x 12 hrs shift pattern ). While they are on mc, we have to call out those rest day workers for support,,,and they are entitled to x2 OT payment.

We are PCBA industry with ISO 14001 working environment and it is no reason that workers fall sick in this clean and safety working environment.

Thanks for your advise.

KL Siew
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 02:42:43 PM

This is common problem.

1. You can have a talk with the owners of panel clinics, Ask them not to be too generous in giving medical leave, give when it is really necessary. These clinics normally listen because they want your business.

2. It will very difficult for you to terminate their service for such reason.

Micheal Heng
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 04:03:20 PM

Hi, Mr Siew, Thanks for your fast response.

1) We plan to limit the high mc rates workers to only 2 of the local nearest panel clinic to their home, rather than the list of clinics given in the Health Insurance Company.

2) We will request the workers to carry out again medical check up for his fitness to work under panel clinic.

3) Can we only accept the MC given by panel clinic before 11.00am for the shift begin at 7am. ( The 4 hours given shall be enough for them to get the consultation of doctor if it is serious )

4) The high mc rate wokers are having below par performance. And we will have improvement plan to measure them. Will this valid to charge them for not performing after complete the guidance training,,,

Pls advise whether above action is violating the labour act ?

Thank you.

KL Siew
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 04:38:24 PM

I find the whole process very complex and costly too because you have to go to two doctors for the same illness. I really cannot give you any useful advice. Try to get advice from a qualified labour consultant.

  This topic is closed