RegisterLog In

Employment under Contract- Company is closing down

lizzy
Wed, 23 May 2018 11:46:37 AM  (Last updated: Wed, 23 May 2018 04:12:51 PM)

Hi,

Need your advise for below;

I am hired as 3 years contract staff and the expiry of contract is year 2020. My employment terms and etc benefits is same as per permanent , only difference it's under contract. Since my company has announced that they are ceasing the business, they are paying us 3 months compensation as per stated in contract. I would like to know if I am entitle for the compensation balance 2 years contract instead of 3 months.

The clause is as per below;

"The term of your employment shall be for the duration of the contract commencing from the date you joined until the last date of the period of your contract. The period of this contract shall be for THREE (3) years only. Your contract of service is deemed to have been terminated under the following conditions:

a) when the period of time for which such contract was made has expired or

b) when the piece of work specified in such contract has been completed

In case of termination, after cofirmation but prior to the contract completion or a resignation by the employee, a three (3) months written notice or an indemnity shall be given to the other party.

Your advise is much appreciated

Thank You

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 23 May 2018 01:50:25 PM

For such a matter, I think you should go and consult a lawyer see whether you can sue or not.

lizzy
Wed, 23 May 2018 02:05:58 PM

Thank You for your reply Siew.

I need to consult an external lawyer? I can't go tru Industrial court and etc ?

thanks

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 23 May 2018 04:12:51 PM

If you are thinking of claiming payment for the remaining two year, I think you have to consult a lawyer. Of course, you still can consult the Industrial Relations Department if you want.