RegisterLog In

Threats of violence by work superior

drivering
Sat, 10 Aug 2019 11:01:59 PM  (Last updated: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 01:53:44 PM)

Hello,

The other day, I let out a shout just outside the office, more loudly than I intended and not meant directed at anyone. I was then approached by one of my superiors at work. He is not my direct supervisor but has a higher rank in the company and may own a stake in it. 

He forced me to talk and wanted to know why I was unhappy. I did not give straight answers as I didn't think I owed him an explanation. He then threatened about 2 or 3 times to hit/slap me if I continued that attitude. 

I then had an anxiety attack after that, not directly due to those threats (I didn't believe he would actually do it). And to some extent, he is genunely concerned and helped me through the anxiety attack. I felt fragile after that and held a conciliatory attitude towards him for the rest of the day.

Yet, thinking about it, I felt more and more that his behaviour was unacceptable, and possibly actionable. I do not intend to actually pursue it any further or seek legal outcomes but I am interested as to the legal recourse to these sort of threats by a superior? Quite possibly, what he did is perfectly legal and non-actionable, I don't know. 

Thank you. 

drivering
Sat, 10 Aug 2019 11:09:09 PM

Just to add, nothing has happened with him since that day and I do not feel under threat at the moment. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 12 Aug 2019 01:53:44 PM

Since you feel no treat anymore, just forget and carry on as usual to do your work. shouting for nothing may give wrong impresion to others.

This topic is closed