RegisterLog In

Considerations for Offer with a Bond

wan
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 05:08:43 PM  (Last updated: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 12:46:43 PM)

Hi, 

I just received an offer from a company and they stated that I will be bonded for a year upon confirmation (after 3 months probation) due to training/certification that they might provide. Breaking the bond will result in payment of RM25k to them. I just want to know if I should enquire anything specific further regarding the bond? Should I enquire specifically about the training? or anything I can negotiate so that I benefit as well?

Thanks.

bosco50050
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 06:18:28 PM

wan,

The company is bonding you for providing you some kind of training/certification.

You say “might provide” – Are you sure what they are providing?

Is the training as valuable as the 25K that you should pay, should you break the bond? I think this is critical to know as if you do decide to bail out say come six months down the line the training you received should be worth 25K or more so that you will not cry then, paying the firm 25K. Critical to know what this training is going to do for you or is it a gimmick to hold on to you for a year, at least.

wan
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 06:44:41 PM
Originally posted by bosco50050 on Mon, 19 Aug 2019 06:18:28 PM

wan,

The company is bonding you for providing you some kind of training/certification.

You say “might provide” – Are you sure what they are providing?

Is the training as valuable as the 25K that you should pay, should you break the bond? I think this is critical to know as if you do decide to bail out say come six months down the line the training you received should be worth 25K or more so that you will not cry then, paying the firm 25K. Critical to know what this training is going to do for you or is it a gimmick to hold on to you for a year, at least.

Thanks for your reply.

During the interview they did mention I'm expected to take a certification exam in order to be confirmed. It is for a specific skill but from my search it doesn't cost as much. Not sure about training.

I have asked for clarification on the training and certification that I will undertake and how the 25k is calculated. I'm just worried I'm asking too much and they think I have intention to leave early. I'm just being cautious as I've never encountered bond agreement.

bosco50050
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 10:23:26 PM
Originally posted by wan on Mon, 19 Aug 2019 06:44:41 PM

Thanks for your reply.

During the interview they did mention I'm expected to take a certification exam in order to be confirmed. It is for a specific skill but from my search it doesn't cost as much. Not sure about training.

I have asked for clarification on the training and certification that I will undertake and how the 25k is calculated. I'm just worried I'm asking too much and they think I have intention to leave early. I'm just being cautious as I've never encountered bond agreement.

I understand your predicament. You want the job and don't want to jeopardize it with all your questions. Just understand that there have been situations where people joined a firm with a bond and later found that the job was unsuitable or the work conditions were not favorable only to find themselves with the bond to be repaid when they wanted to move out.

If you have weighed the risks and benefits and feel confident. By all means, the decision is yours.

I wish you luck. Rgds.

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 20 Aug 2019 12:46:43 PM

Simply put:

1. Look before you leap;

2. Find out the background of the company that made the offer, what are they, who are they, reputable? etc etc, before you commit.