RegisterLog In

Resignation due to Mental Health

Em
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 07:56:06 PM  (Last updated: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 02:58:42 PM)

Hi,

For context, my salary is more than RM2000, office job so I am not sure if this is covered by EA 1995 and I have been in this office for 3 months. I have had other jobs previously but I have never had a job that has caused me so miserable to the point that it's causing me extreme unhappiness. I have become extremely demotivated.

About a month ago, I was diagnosed with migraine - of which I never had a record of in my entire life. Very recently I have been diagnosed with MDD by a psychiatrist and I have been planning to leave the job when I get another job offer (which I have not been lucky about yet). I am on strict medication and the doctor is giving me a long leave due to the severity of my condition, as going to work will only trigger my condition into a worse situation. 

I would like to understand if there is any law to protect workers in a situation where the employee is diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and the workplace is a major contributing factor?

If I were to resign, am I entitled to any compensation in light of undue stress that has driven me to my edge that I have to be on strict medication? If so, what are the process I should follow? Because I am still looking for another job in order to get out of the situation, as this job has really taken a toll on my mental health, at one point the doctor is suggesting me to be hospitalized for my own sake. Is there any way that I can get out of the situation? Who should I reach out to?

I greatly appreciate any insight on the issue and thank you for reading through my enquiry.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Em
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 08:11:24 PM
Originally posted by Em on Sun, 03 Nov 2019 02:58:42 PM

Hi,

For context, my salary is more than RM2000, office job so I am not sure if this is covered by EA 1995 and I have been in this office for 3 months. I have had other jobs previously but I have never had a job that has caused me so miserable to the point that it's causing me extreme unhappiness. I have become extremely demotivated.

About a month ago, I was diagnosed with migraine - of which I never had a record of in my entire life. Very recently I have been diagnosed with MDD by a psychiatrist and I have been planning to leave the job when I get another job offer (which I have not been lucky about yet). I am on strict medication and the doctor is giving me a long leave due to the severity of my condition, as going to work will only trigger my condition into a worse situation. 

I would like to understand if there is any law to protect workers in a situation where the employee is diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and the workplace is a major contributing factor?

If I were to resign, am I entitled to any compensation in light of undue stress that has driven me to my edge that I have to be on strict medication? If so, what are the process I should follow? Because I am still looking for another job in order to get out of the situation, as this job has really taken a toll on my mental health, at one point the doctor is suggesting me to be hospitalized for my own sake. Is there any way that I can get out of the situation? Who should I reach out to?

I greatly appreciate any insight on the issue and thank you for reading through my enquiry.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Worth noting, my employment contract states:

1. Employment Right Acts 1955

"This document constitutes the contract of employment between yourself and the Company and incorporates the written particulars required by the Employment Act 1955."

KL Siew
Administrator
Sun, 03 Nov 2019 02:58:42 PM

1. I really can't think of any venue for you to approach about your case. If you are thinking of suing the company for compesation for stress that caused you depression, a lawyer might be the one. I am not sure whether it is worthwhile for you to do it.

2. It is my humble opinion that health is more important than the job you are having now. I think it would be wiser to quit and fix up your health. You can always go back to job market one day when you are in better health.

This topic is closed