RegisterLog In

Office Relocation with little notice

Curious&Asking
Fri, 06 Dec 2019 06:52:18 PM  (Last updated: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 01:23:14 PM)

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on this: My company announced that we are relocating and will start working from the new office at the beginning of 2020. My current office is at a central location with very accessible public transportation access while the new office is towards the outskirts of the city. This change will affect everyone except 1 in the office, with everyone's transit time from an average of 30 minutes to almost 90 minutes (2 colleagues will take almost 120 minutes to reach the new office, one way). We accepted this change with no protest. However, my company just gave a statement that the relocation will happen sooner, giving us a week in our current office. The team are emotionally distressed over the sudden announcement. However, I am the only one who questioned to understand the motive but all my colleagues did not share their objections with management. 

No explanation was given to ease the adjustment, instead, the question was ignored. From the first announcement of this relocation (which was a mere month in advance from the day we're supposed to relocate), there was no allowance offered or discussions made to discuss the transition. This is the 3rd office relocation in a year and no compensation was given during the previous 2 times. Due to this, half have shared that their families are urging them to might quit over this. 

What is the appropriate action to take, in this case? 

KL Siew
Administrator
Sat, 07 Dec 2019 01:23:14 PM

I think such a matter is something best be sorted out between the employees and the employer. If there is no suitable solution, I think a likely option is to go along with the relocation first and then start looking for more suitable job elsewhere. Meanwhile, you can consult the Labour Department see what's the official advice. Give them a call.

This topic is closed