RegisterLog In

MCO unpaid leave in Retail

rizuan
Thu, 02 Apr 2020 03:24:41 PM  (Last updated: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 07:06:02 PM)

i'm working in a retail shop and i  can not work from home during MCO . my employer said need to take unpaid leave during MCO and also for the extension form 1-14 Aprl . please advise what can i do?

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 03 Apr 2020 01:12:37 PM

Under the present extraordinary situation, I really can't give you any useful opinion. Why not you try to consult the Labour Department and talk to the officer there about it.

kyt12
Sun, 12 Apr 2020 05:39:48 PM

Hi, 

No. As a general rule of thumb, the company cannot force you take unpaid leave. What is your salary and is there any contractual provision in your contract to allow unpaid leave (look for something under force majeure clause if any)?

Just put in your protest to say you don't agree with unpaid leave and reserve your rights. 

Visit the labour office to claim for any unpaid wages after MCO is lifted. 

Irwin
Mon, 20 Apr 2020 07:06:02 PM

If the nature of your business falls under essential services as identified in the New Regulations or has otherwise been granted permission to operate, your business can continue subject to the conditions imposed by the Government. As such, if your employees have been granted approved annual leave during this period, and if the needs of the business make it necessary, you may revoke the approval of the annual leave to require employees to return to work. 

Employees in non-essential departments or aspects of your business ought to be allowed to work from home instead of being present at the work premises.

This topic is closed